Once again, anti-choice legislators have laid out an agenda of cutting access to abortion, putting the most vulnerable Ohioans at risk. The six-week abortion ban bill before the Ohio Senate would effectively outlaw abortion and criminalize physicians. Over twenty-thousand people choose to have an abortion in Ohio each year, and seven in ten Americans support legal access to abortion care. Banning women from getting a medical procedure is dangerous, out of touch with Ohio values, and is completely unacceptable.
Provide your senator with Twitter Testimony! It is critical to make sure our elected officials know why we oppose this anti-choice legislation.
TWEET a video of yourself speaking about why SB 23 is wrong for Ohioans. Find your senator here and tag them using their twitter handle in the list below.
Here are some tips to effectively do so:
- Keep videos to 2 minutes or less
- Clearly state your case & use your own words.
- If possible, include a personal story or experience. How has previous legislation affected you or your family? How could this proposed legislation affect you or your family?
- Be nice. While more than half of these lawmakers have voted for abortion bans in the past, many have not. We want to appeal to all of them.
- Do not share any information that you would not be comfortable being publicly tied to you – the Internet is forever!
- Remember that the general public can respond to the video, however you are not obligated to engage with anyone.
- Relax! Though they may disagree with you, your representatives are here to serve the general public. They want to hear what you have to say & why you feel the way you do.
Have a short message attached to the video when sharing, which includes the personal handle of your representative (see list below), & please use the hashtag #StopTheBans.
Here are some examples of sample tweets to add to your personal video:
- It is time for our representatives to actually represent us. Ohio will not go back! #StopTheBans
- The 6-week abortion ban, before women most even know that they are pregnant, is dangerous and unconstitutional. Here is why I oppose SB 23! #StopTheBans
- Everyone loves someone who has had an abortion. I am pro-choice, I oppose SB 23, the 6-week ban, & here is my story. #StopTheBans
- 7 in 10 Americans support access to safe & legal abortion care. I am one of them. I urge you to vote NO on SB 23 #StopTheBans
- Banning abortion will not stop abortion from happening; it will only stop safe abortion, ultimately hurting women & families. Vote NO on SB 23! #StopTheBans
District 2 Gardner, Randy (R-Bowling Green)
(614) 466-8060 / email@example.com
District 8 Terhar, Louis (R-Cincinnati)
(614) 466-8068 / firstname.lastname@example.org
District 15 Craig, Hearcel (D-Columbus)
(614) 466-5131 / email@example.com
District 20 Vacant
District 29 Schuring, Kirk (R-Canton)
(614) 466-0626 / firstname.lastname@example.org
District 33 Rulli, Michael (D-Boardman)
(614) 466-8285 / email@example.com / @michaelrulli