NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio is committed to develop and sustain a constituency that uses the political process to guarantee every woman the right to make personal decisions regarding a full range of reproductive choices, including preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and choosing legal abortion.
The NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio Family of Organizations:
NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio was founded in 1979 as a 501(c)(4) non-profit pro-choice membership and lobbying organization. Key NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio programs include:
- Monitoring and analyzing legislative activity from all levels of government relevant to the protection of reproductive choice. NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio is often the first to know about legislation that would interfere with the right to access reproductive health services, including family planning, sexuality education, and safe, legal abortion. Our staff provides technical assistance to legislators on key reproductive health issues and has provided written and verbal testimony to legislative committees.
- Informing our members and the public about laws, policies and bills that affect reproductive rights. An informed electorate is crucial to the protection of choice. NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio provides timely updates, newsletters, and action alerts that keep Ohioans informed about activities at the state and federal government level.
- Professional lobbying. NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio serves as your voice in Ohio’s political institutions. Our staff actively lobby to defeat anti-choice legislation and promote pro-choice legislation. NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio also has been instrumental in the introduction of legislation that promotes reproductive freedom, such as the bill to require insurance companies to cover contraceptives.
- Grass-roots organizing. NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio’s power is in its numbers. Through our organizing efforts, our members are involved lobbying, elections, accountability sessions, and grass-roots communications with elected representatives. By continually building the collective voice of our membership, we increase our impact on state politics and gain pro-choice votes.
- Electoral activity. NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio’s efforts to mobilize voters will help elect dozens of pro-choice leaders to Congress and the state legislature. We recruit, train and turn out the vote for pro-choice candidates.
NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio Foundation is a sister organization that provides public education to support the NARAL mission. Therefore, contributions to NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio Foundation are tax deductible to the fullest extent permitted by law. Training, educational forums, and workshops for NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio members and pro-choice constituents are conducted by the NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio Foundation. Key programs include:
- Campaign for Contraceptive Coverage. This initiative advocates for insurers to cover birth control the same way they do other prescriptions. Too many Ohio insurance policies fail to cover the five most commonly used methods of birth control. This campaign calls on employers, insurers and the state legislature to guarantee equitable coverage for contraception.
- EC in the ER. We are conducting a survey of every hospital emergency room in Ohio to find out if they make Emergency Contraception available to their patients. We are especially interested in whether or not hospitals provide EC to survivors of sexual assault. Once the survey is complete, we will publish the results. We will continue our work to educate the public about EC and to make EC more accessible.
NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio PAC is a statewide pro-choice political action committee (PAC) that provides direct support to pro-choice candidates. NARAL Key activities include:
- Direct financial support for candidates.
- Statewide distribution of a pro-choice voting guide.
- Campaign trainings for pro-choice candidates and election volunteers.