Pro-Choice Ohio is committed to develop and sustain a constituency that uses the political process to guarantee every Ohioan the right to make personal decisions regarding a full range of reproductive choices, including preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and choosing legal abortion.
The Pro-Choice Ohio Family of Organizations:
Pro-Choice Ohio was founded in 1979 as a 501(c)(4) non-profit pro-choice membership and lobbying organization. Key Pro-Choice Ohio programs include:
- Monitoring and analyzing legislative activity from all levels of government relevant to the protection of reproductive choice. Pro-Choice Ohio is often the first to know about legislation that would interfere with the right to access reproductive health services, including family planning, sexuality education, and safe, legal abortion. Our staff provides technical assistance to legislators on key reproductive health issues and has provided written and verbal testimony to legislative committees.
- Informing our members and the public about laws, policies and bills that affect reproductive rights. An informed electorate is crucial to the protection of choice. Pro-Choice Ohio provides timely updates, newsletters, and action alerts that keep Ohioans informed about activities at the state and federal government level.
- Professional lobbying. Pro-Choice Ohio serves as your voice in Ohio’s political institutions. Our staff actively lobby to defeat anti-choice legislation and promote pro-choice legislation. Pro-Choice Ohio also has been instrumental in the introduction of legislation that promotes reproductive freedom, such as the bill to require insurance companies to cover contraceptives.
- Grass-roots organizing. Pro-Choice Ohio’s power is in its numbers. Through our organizing efforts, our members are involved in lobbying, elections, accountability sessions, and grass-roots communications with elected representatives. By continually building the collective voice of our membership, we increase our impact on state politics and gain pro-choice votes.
- Electoral activity. Pro-Choice Ohio’s efforts to mobilize voters will help elect dozens of pro-choice leaders to Congress and the state legislature. We recruit, train and turn out the vote for pro-choice candidates.
Pro-Choice Ohio Foundation is a sister organization that provides public education to support our mission. Therefore, contributions to Pro-Choice Ohio Foundation are tax deductible to the fullest extent permitted by law. Training, educational forums, and workshops for Pro-Choice Ohio members and pro-choice constituents are conducted by the Pro-Choice Ohio Foundation.
Pro-Choice Ohio PAC is a statewide pro-choice political action committee (PAC) that provides direct support to pro-choice candidates. Key activities include:
- Direct financial support for candidates.
- Statewide distribution of a pro-choice voting guide.
- Campaign trainings for pro-choice candidates and election volunteers.